The castle, built on the site of a Gallo-Roman city, is an attraction in itself. It is a finely balanced blend: both rustic and elegant. The park alone is worth the visit.
It was in 1442 that a rich inhabitant of Avignon, Guillaume of Damian, purchased the seigniory of Vernègues. In 1460 he obtained his title of nobility given by Charles of Orleans, Count of Asti, where the De Damian family originated. It is believed that after the purchase, the family settled in the seigneurial house of Maison Basse. Its location has not yet been confirmed, but it was probably at the site of the present castle which was built on the remains of an ancient agricultural and viticultural agglomeration. This fact has been confirmed by archaeological prospection
Originally it seems that the castle had a semi-fortified aspect, built with its four corner towers on a terrace between the ancient temple and the current car park. It is known that it was surrounded by a moat because a mobile bridge located at the eastern gate of the castle.is mentioned in an inventory of the property of the De Damian family in the early 18th century.
In 1750, the seigneury was auctioned by judicial decision and Henry Gautier du Pöet, the former treasurer of the states of Provence, became the owner. His family managed the lordship until the Revolution which forced them to emigrate. The entire estate was sold, and the properties divided. Until World War II, like most Mediterranean agricultural estates, Château Bas practiced multi-culture activities: cereal, wine, olive oil as well as cattle and sheep breeding.
There are many traces and evidence in relation to these activities: chapel presses of the eighteenth century, barrels, ancient olive trees, sheepfolds and stables. Around the castle, on the path leading to the temple, are the remains of the monolithic stone rim of an ancient well and the counterweight of a press from the same period. These stones show the tracks made by plows, testimony to their existence for several centuries.
Today, the Castle is home to a renowned wine-growing operation and invites you to taste their wine and discover its monuments, among the most beautiful in the region.